My dear parishioners and friends of our parish community: Praised be Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory! Now and forever!
Lent is our annual opportunity to grow in our faith, which means it’s about more than giving up unhealthy foods or snacks, as you may have done when you were a kid. Lent is about abstaining from whatever is unhealthy in our lives, e.g. gossip, laziness, lack of social conscience, and most importantly, taking concrete steps to do something more. Not sure where to start? Check out these 25 Lenten ideas:
1. Make a commitment to read the Lenten Sunday Gospels
“before” you come to Mass.. Come Thursday nights to our
Scripture class to better focus on the readings.
2. Never attended Mass at a parish of a different ethnic group?
3. Never tried Eucharistic Adoration? Come to ours for an hour!
4. Pick one expidenture that you’ll “fast” from during Lent and give
the money to Operation Rice Bowl.
5. Offer a prayer before you sit down to your computer.
6. Go to a Lenten weekday Mass one day a week.
7. Hang a crucifix on the wall of your home.
8. Read the Gospel of St. Mark in one sitting.
9. Attend Stations of the Cross on Friday at 6:30.
10. Get some friends and have a Fish Fry on a Friday night. It’s a
fun Catholic tradition!
11. Turn off your iPod, cell phone, and car radio on the way to
12. Buy a book of Lenten reflections to keep by your bed.
13. Think about a bad habit and give it up for Jesus.
14. Limit yourself to one hour of TV, sending email, or Internet.
15. “Fast” from cruel comments about others.
16. Learn about Catholic Relief Services by going to www.crs.org.
17. Pray for somebody you don’t know.
18. Light a votive candle in church for World Peace.
19. Pray for adults preparing to receive baptism at Easter Vigil
20. Pray the Rosary or Chaplet of Divine Mercy before going to
21. Learn more about St. Faustina Kowalska and the Chaplet of
22. Read the Corporal Works of Mercy.
23. Make a list of the excesses in your life and do without them.
24. Clean out your closets and drawers to give to the needy.
25. Celebrate Reconciliation! Go to Confession!
25 great things that YOU can do for Lent! I’m sure you will discover more! Just add them on!
Blessed Lenten Days!